This is just the first I've heard of a favoritism argument against this .And it can be and probably is on the local levels, no one is against that, but the fed. can't and shouldn't extend a blanket law like that.
Huh? They are acting on what they can, what they should and what they needed to do. Let the local incidents be taken care at the local level. This is a large federal issue and they are acting on it.
As I read this bill, it is not just for first responders. It is also for residents of New York who may have contracted WTC cough.
"Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08
Fine by me too that they be covered. They were closest to the devastation of 9/11 and got the brunt of the ill effects that came from it.
This is one of those touchy things b/c I see where Counts is coming from...why aren't there coverages extended to those from other states who go and volunteer to fight wildfires in California?
The delineation I make between something like that and 9/11 is that those in Cali or helping w/Katrina cleanups are all volunteering for natural disaster/phenomenon, not an attack on the country as 9/11 was.
[U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/miami-med.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/nohokie-med.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]
[U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/Funny/owmyballs.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]
Im not done reading it, but I can definitely see how that would raise the question though if residents are involved about illegals benefitting though.
"Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08
It's a terrorist attack, the largest terrorist attack, it's obviously a federal issue. A person who has health problems outside of the normal, on duty risks, it would be taken care of on the local level...why would the federal government get involved in that? This was a federal issue to begin with, the local gov. isn't doing anything, they have to step in and they should. Your examples of here and there local matters can't and shouldn't be acted on by congress.
That is exactly what I am saying not that it makes a big differance in what actualy ends up getting passed one way or the other. To me it is EXTREAMLY sad that someone liveing IN NY would develop problems due to the 9/11 cleanup but to me it is NO better or worse than The illness from the Katrina cleanup or fighting wild fires....R13 mentioned that the Feds need to get involved now becouse 9/11 was an attack on our countly.....well Katrina had Gov built Dykes that failed and most of the Wild Fiers out west are on National forst property so again why not cover the people in those situations too?
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/MattMan7/redskins3.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/MattMan7/6a00d83451ba6469e200e54f0eaffb8833-.gif[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/MattMan7/unc1-1.jpg[/img]
Bookmarks